WINE AND CULTURE
Did you know that Bulgaria was the world’s second largest exporter of wine in the 1980s only topped by France? Here are some facts:
- Archaeological studies point to evidence of winemaking as early as 4000 BC, when Bulgarian lands were inhabited by the Thracians. Zagreus was a Thracian god later known as Dionysus – the God of wine. The Thracians wine was even mentioned in the Iliad – an ancient Greek poem.
- When the Romans conquered the Balkan Peninsula in the 1st century AD, they encouraged the production of wine.
- Later, when the Bulgarians took over this land, they continued the tradition of winemaking. In the Middle Ages, monasteries and churches played an important role in wine production. Their cellars were used for wine storage and by the time Bulgaria was conquered by the Ottomans, winemaking was already widespread.
- Winston Churchill was known to buy 500 litres of a typically Bulgarian wine variety – Shiroka Melnishka loza from the Melnik region.
- Mavrud is one of the most ancient and typical Bulgarian wines. Its name comes from the Greek “mavro”, which means black! Famous with its rich taste and legends behind, you can find this wine in the southern part of Plovdiv.
- Since Bulgaria’s EU accession in 2007, Bulgaria’s more than 70 wineries and wine cellars continue the skilful Thracian tradition of winemaking, focusing on quality rather than quantity. Bulgaria has the capacity to process about 700 000 tons of grapes a year.
We are traditionalists who are passionate about our folklore, culture, food, history, and nature. In order to provide our guests with an unparalleled experience, we explored every nook and cranny of our country. We met the winegrowers, farmers, and the elderly people who shared their stories with us. We simply fell in love with everything what Bulgaria has to offer and can hardly wait to show it to you.
Looking for more ideas:
- History & Culture
- Wine tours & SPA Getaway
- Nature & Outdoor activities
- Festivals and more …
- Day trips from Sofia
IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A PRIVATE TOUR AND WANT TO DISCOVER MORE THAN THE TOURIST SIGHTS, THAN YOUR GUIDES ARE WAITING FOR YOU…
Did we get your attention? Let’s start our journey through Bulgaria together and discover it all!
Leave a Reply: